- The average fruitcake weighs 2 pounds.
- Fruitcake has the same density as mahogany.
- Fruitcake has been around since Roman times.
- In the 18th century, fruitcake was outlawed in Europe.
- Almost 3000 pounds of fruitcake were delivered to Iraq in 2006.
Can you answer this question:
What percent of people who received a fruitcake as a gift would throw it away? What percent would regift it?
Did you receive a fruitcake as a gift this holiday season? You can regift it to the Science Museum of Virginia! Join us for Fruitcake Science on Wednesday, December 29 and watch all the fun we have with fruitcake.
Answer: 47% of people who receive the gift of fruitcake would throw it away immediately. Another 11% would regift it. So more than half (58%) would not keep it or eat it. You have to wonder how many fruitcakes are continually regifted for years and years... maybe since Roman times???